Have a promotion? Shout it from the rooftops! Or, at least, share it on the Facebook page for your business. Updates to Facebook’s policies have made it easier than ever for businesses to benefit from social media contests and promotions.
The new policy reads: “Promotions may be administered on Pages or within apps on Facebook. Personal Timelines must not be used to administer promotions (ex: “share on your Timeline to enter” or “share on your friend’s Timeline to get additional entries” is not permitted).
Before, Facebook promotions could only be administered within a Facebook app, which is a much more time and money consuming process. By allowing businesses to administer promotions on their own page walls, the social media giant has just created more social media campaign potential especially for smaller businesses with less marketing dollars.
In an official blog post, Facebook further explains its guidelines by saying businesses can collect entries by having users message the page, post on the Page, like or comment on a Page post or use likes as a voting mechanism. However, it is still not allowed to require participants to share a status on their personal timeline.
Can’t decide which way to host your next Facebook promotion? Here are some pros and cons to help you make up your mind:
- You can gather names and email addresses, which can be used to communicate with customers outside of Facebook
- Promotion can be interactive
- Creating these generally takes more time and money
- Easy to set up and typically free
- Some customers don’t like sharing their information through third party apps, so they are more likely to participate
- Restricted to communicating with customers only on Facebook, and only if they reach out to you first
- More pages will be hosting promotions and competitions, so users may become disengaged
- It will be easier for consumers to find ways to scam or cheat the system to win (i.e. using multiple accounts to enter)
- Harder to track. With an app, you would have a database to track entries. Using a company Facebook page, someone will have to track entries manually.
Marketing RELEVANCE has developed numerous Facebook and social media campaigns over the past few years, including our most recent “Where Will Traton Homes Spring Up Next?” campaign for Atlanta-based Traton Homes.
Whether you’re looking to take advantage of Facebook’s new favorable guidelines by hosting a promotion directly on your page, or you love the look and feel of a Facebook app, we’re here to help you dream up, design and implement your next campaign successfully.
Give us a call at 770-383-3360 today to see just how likeable your promotion can be!