Did you know that 147 million people use email? And that 46% of them say they are hooked or addicted to email. 50% of people even check email while on vacation! (survey source: Aol and emarketer)
Pamela Adams with Constant Contact spoke at the April Atlanta SMC meeting on the importance of using email marketing to build relationships. If you are wondering what email marketing can do for your company, here is a list of 7 things.
- Build relationships
- Educating potential buyers
- Brand your company
- Create top-of-mind awareness
- Broaden your audience
- Help with repeat business
- Drive profit and revenue
Pamela’s tips and comments on Spam. Constant Contact allows only 1 spam report per 1,000 emails, so make sure you have permission to email people. The Can-Spam Act defines bulk email as an email that goes to 25 or more recipients. Here are 4 tips to keep from being a spammer:
- Use a real email address as the sender, not just [email protected] or [email protected] or a generic email
- Provide a way to unsubscribe
- You must remove the name from your list within 10 days
- Do not add anyone back to a bulk mail list who has asked to unsubscribe
How can you increase your open rate?
- Focus on the subject line, it should be 45 characters or less and be focused on features, not benefits. Remember, the person receiving the email is focused on What’s in it for me?
- 60% of emails are opened solely because of who it is from. If they know and like you, they are more likely to open it.
- 30% are opened based on the subject line. If they are interested in the subject, they are more likely to open it.
- The industry open rate is 25%
- Before the scroll, readers decide within 3 seconds whether to read the rest or not
Follow these tips and use an email marketing program such as Constant Contact or Builder Broker News and you will increase your open rate, while decreasing the potential for being reported as a spammer. A well-planned email marketing campaign is an intergral part of your Internet marketing program. Reviewing tracking reports from your email campaigns will provide you with valuable information on who opens your emails and where they click — don’t forget to review this business intelligence.